Recipe and Photography by Eden @TheBoldAppetite
Yields 5 burgers
Bring on the cheese! Elevate the traditional cheeseburger with caramelized onions and mushrooms on a soft and hearty pretzel bun. Coated generously with a hickory-smoked bourbon cheese sauce made from Youngsters Hickory Smoked Gouda.
For the Burger
- 2 ½ lbs of 80/20 ground beef
- ½ yellow onion minced finely
- 2 tbsp kosher salt
- Fresh ground black pepper
For the Hickory Bourbon Cheese Sauce
- Artikaas Youngsters Hickory Smoked Gouda
- 50ml bourbon of choice
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp flour
- 12 oz can evaporated milk
Caramelized onions and mushrooms
- 1 yellow onion sliced
- 8 oz baby bella mushrooms sliced
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 tsp salt
Additional Assembly Ingredients
- Pretzel buns
For the caramelized onions and mushrooms
1. In a saucepan over medium to low heat melt 2 tbsp of butter. Once melted add onions, mushrooms, and 1 tsp of salt. Sweat and cook down for approx. 15 minutes until onions are nice and caramelized and mushrooms are soft. Remove from heat and place on the side.
For the Hickory Bourbon Gouda Sauce
1. Prep the Artikaas Youngsters Hickory Smoked Gouda by cutting away at the outer rind; discard this. Grate the remaining cheese.
2. In a small saucepan over medium to low heat melt 2 tbsp of butter. Once melted add 2 tbsp of flour. Mix to combine and cook until a light caramel color, mixing every 30 seconds (approx. 7 minutes).
3. Deglaze the pan with the bourbon and cook down for 2-3 minutes.
4. Add evaporated milk, and cook for another 3-4 minutes. Lower heat to low and slowly add the grated hickory smoked gouda in 3 batches allowing each batch to melt before adding the next. Once cheese has a melted consistency (it should be thick but pourable) remove off the heat. Best used immediately.
For the Burgers
1. In a bowl combine beef, finely minced onions, salt, and a generous amount of freshly cracked pepper. Mix thoroughly. Form 5 burger patties and place on the side or in the fridge if not immediately cooking.
2. If cooking, preheat the grill to 400 degrees. Cook burger to desired doneness. Remove off the grill.
1. Assemble each burger on a soft pretzel bun, cooked patty, a generous amount of caramelized onions and mushrooms. Finish the burger off by pouring the hickory bourbon cheese sauce.