Recipe by Bon Abbetit
If you're in a bind and need a last minute appetizer idea, this quick and simple snack is just the thing! Caramelized onions lend a sweetness to the acidic tomatoes and when paired with Hay There Raw Milk Gouda with Truffle, it's a stellar flavor combination that's sure to please a crowd. Give it a try with the recipe below!
Serving size: 12 pastry boats
- Olive oil
- 1 large white onion
- Puff pastry, thawed
- 1 6 oz. wedge of Artikaas Hay There Raw Milk Gouda with Truffle
- ¾ cup cherry tomatoes
- 1 egg for egg wash
- A few sprigs of thyme
- Remove puff pastry from freeze and let thaw. Preheat oven to 375.
- Thinly slice white onion. Add olive oil to a large pan and then add onion along with a few sprigs of thyme.
- Cook down for about 30 min, stirring every so often so the onions don't burn. Onions should get very brown, reduce and be very sweet and caramelized.
- Grate Hay There Truffle Gouda and slice tomatoes.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Roll out pastry and cut 12 squares. Add a tsp of caramelized onion, 2-3 tomatoes and 1 tsp of Gouda. Fold to opposite corners of each square to form little boats. Brush each pastry with the egg yolk, and sprinkle with thyme.
- Refrigerate for 10-15 minutes before baking in the oven for 15 minutes, or until cheese is melted and pastries are puffed and golden. Enjoy!